A bit of an unspoken ritual that happens every fall is a get together hosted by my dear friend, Lisa-Marie. She and her man, JF, host an annual potluck at their beautiful home on the lake. This year I decided to make a new sauce and since it was such a great hit last night, I’ve decided to share it with you! Now, be warned, this is no recipe for the calorie-counter or weight watcher.
Heather’s Vodka Sauce
What you need:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and diced.
- 1 cup vodka
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- Herbs to preference (I used fresh basil, italian parsley and dried oregano. Salt and pepper)
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in all of the butter. Yes, all 1/2 a cup. Scary, but delicious. Do so until the onion is juuuuuuust starting to brown a tiny bit and are soft
- Pour in Vodka and let cook for 10 minutes
- Mix in crushed tomatoes and herbs (I had to transfer everything to a sauce pan). Cook for 30 minutes.
- Pour in the cream, stirring as you go. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve over pasta! Best over freshly made pasta :)
I hope you enjoy! It was really good and really well received at the party. Here’s a quick shot of my selections from the evening: