Where has this summer gone? I can’t believe we’re already in August! The evenings are starting to cool down, and I can feel a certain briskness in the air. Love it! Autumn is my favourite season, so I can’t wait for it to arrive!
Unfortunately, things haven’t improved much in my neck of the woods. Lots of estate stress has been accompanied by some work issues. Not entirely sure why these things have developed, but I’ve noticed a strange attitude change towards my position. I am a part time assistant to the student employment department at the local college. We just hired two new staff members, both on contract like me, with one of them being part time as well. For whatever reason, their arrival has somehow resulted in me being knocked down the totem poll. There’s been some issues that have me worried and I’m planning on approaching my manager about them. It’s not a fun thing to worry about, especially when money is already tight.
At least I have my friends and some hobbies to keep me occupied. I have a big project in the works that I can’t wait to share with you all! Unfortunately, I can’t yet because it’s a surprise. Hee! I promise, as soon as I can, I’ll let you know :) Something I can tell you about: I’m trying to teach myself to crochet. Will I succeed? Will it be an epic disaster of massively tangled proportions? Only time will tell.
This month is looking to be jam packed of busy and fun. This weekend we’re celebrating my niece’s 2nd birthday. I can’t believe how fast time flies! next week is my sister’s birthday (who has no right to be turning 25. Seriously. There is something incredibly crazy about that), my sister in law is also having a little birthday shindig that week as well which is going to be a hoot. Finally, the last weekend of August, one of my BFFs, L, is in town for work and is crashing with us for the weekend. I haven’t seen her in a little while, so I’m very excited! Directly after that, I’ll be following her home to Montreal for a family get together/engagement party (I’m her MOH!). As soon as I return from my weekend away in beautiful Montreal, I’ll be returning to celebrate my nephew’s 2nd birthday! Busy busy! By then, it’ll be September!
With all of that going on, I’m also trying to include some work outs into my routine, as well as get some meals cooked so that we’re no longer relying on fast food and meals from boxes. Last night was one of my favourites. Super quick and easy!
Chicken Bruschetta Bake
(based on Kraft’s recipe here)
- 1 can of stewed or diced tomatoes (whatever I have on hand. Last night was herbed diced. Fresh works also, though the liquid from the can is used later so keep that in mind and substitute in either chicken stock or just water)
- 1pkg stuffing mix (Ok, so there’s still a box involved. Sue me. Feel free to make your own homemade substitution.)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast (I usually use two medium sized breasts for this meal), cut into bite sized pieces.
- a few shakes of dried basil (enough to lightly dust all of the chicken)
- 1 cup mozzarella (we usually also add some parmigiana and cheddar)
5. Sprinkle with your dried basil. I use more than the Kraft recipe calls for.
6. Layer on your cheeses. Again, I use more cheese than asked for. Love me the fromage.
7. Cover with the stuffing mix. I tend to smooch it down to make it all fit.
8. Cook for about 30 min or until chicken is cooked through. This will normally feed both Pat and I for dinner and then have enough for lunch the next day. This is still really good when reheated.
It’s a great quick meal for a busy day, and it’s super tasty (if not a bit heavy on the sodium. I definitely recommend picking up a low/no sodium stuffing).
Enjoy those last few remaining summer days and nights! Soon enough, we’ll be bundling up! <3